1106 Colonial Road, Memphis, TN 38117
The Church of Christ at White Station has been in existence since May of 1954. We treasure our history and the people who went before us.
We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, and it is the source of all we believe. We believe that this Bible-based approach brings us in alignment with what Christ's vision for the church is and always has been. To offer more detail and clarity, we have summarized these core, Bible-based beliefs—and how we carry out those beliefs as a body of Christ—in a document called The Essence of White Station (PDF).
We feel God has a purpose for us in this city and in this location. We have prayerfully worded the purpose God has put on our hearts into a mission statement that guides what we do.
We pray that our mission will continually point us to greater faith and deeper service!
In May of 1954, seventy-nine individuals planted the church that is now the Church of Christ at White Station. Their dream was to establish a grace-oriented congregation of God's people on the eastern edge of the city. They took seriously the quest for unity among believers. Many of White Station's charter members were returning veterans of World War II. They and their young families were influenced in a powerful way by this war and the Great Depression. They valued hard work, strong families, honesty, loyalty, patriotism and faith.
The group met together for the first time on May 9, 1954, at Memphis Christian School. E. H. Ijams, who was on loan from the Union Avenue congregation, was the first pulpit minister. The property at 1106 Colonial Road was purchased later that year. The first meeting in the mansion on the property took place on January 9, 1955. Bob Brewer was hired as a full-time minister in July of that year. From then until now, God has blessed this body with great leadership and great opportunities. We are deeply grateful to those who had a vision for God's work at this location in our city.
© 2012 The Church of Christ at White Station
1106 Colonial Road | Memphis, TN | 901.761.2007